Literature and Composition 4/5 grades
This introductory elementary English class meets twice a week for one semester: Monday’s class is a book club. Wednesday’s class is a writing lab.
This class will explore the different ways author’s use words and metaphorical language to express ideas and create mental pictures using literary devices. We’ll read stories from different genres to learn about point of view, story mapping, conflict/resolution, and mining for evidence. Together we will create an interactive notebook to record and study the different story elements and vocabulary we discover.
Students will also learn how to build strong paragraphs using the techniques we discover in book club. Here we will focus on the writing process, developing strong topic sentences and supporting details to create narrative, persuasive, descriptive, and compare/contrast paragraphs. We will use our story maps to write book summaries and reviews and complete fun projects. We will work together to complete each phase of the writing process from planning to publishing. By the end of the semester, students will have an interactive collection of book reports and writing samples along with a deep understanding and appreciation for each book.
This course has four units – one for each book we read. We’ll meet twice a week.
- During book club (Mondays), we will discuss the chapters we have read before class and complete activities and worksheets together to use in our interactive notebooks.
- During the writing lab (Wednesdays), we will learn about paragraph structure and different types of writing. Together we will write about the books we are reading.
I will provide worksheets and activities for our interactive notebooks. These pages will need to be printed and cut out before class.
Who Should Enroll?
- Students who want to learn about literature through fun picture books and novels.
- Students in a 4th/5th grade reading level.
- Students who want to strengthen their foundational writing skills.
- High speed, broadband Internet
- Web cam, sound card and microphone (for live sessions)
- Streaming video capabilities to watch recorded lectures and weekly short video assignments
- Students may be asked to scan or take pictures of certain assignments for submission
Evaluation and Feedback
I want my elementary students to develop a love of reading and appreciation for the many artistic ways authors use words to communicate. Students earn points for class participation in book club. I will provide rubrics will for our writing assignments or projects in our Composition Connection classes.
Please communicate with me through Canvas at any time throughout the semester. Students are encouraged to ask questions between classes if they need help. I will also provide feedback at the end of each unit.
Select “Required Texts” tab to see the reading list for this course.
Event Disclaimer: This website is provided “as is” and Homeschool Anywhere makes no representations or warranties in relation to the accuracy or completeness of Information. Visitors rely on Information on the website at their own risk. Times and dates are subject to change.
Report this Event