- This event has passed.
Where Do We Go From Here? A Documentary Film Festival
A documentary film festival and webinar on the global freedom struggle that speak to MLK’s unanswered question | REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
About this Event
Hosted by the Martin Luther King Jr., Research and education Institute at Stanford University. For this year’s King Holiday, the Martin Luther King Jr. Research and Education Institute at Stanford University will host a free, four-day film festival and webinar, from the evening of Jan. 15 through Jan.18, 2021. On the eve of the presidential inauguration, the festival will feature twenty documentaries as well as musical performances and conversations that speak to Dr. King’s unanswered question: “Where do we go from here?”
The webinar will consist of a Zoom meeting room with our director Dr. Clayborne Carson that will take place throughout the weekend, in which he will speak with registrants on a range of topics, from Bay Area civil rights history to the legacy of the African American Gandhians. The schedule of discussion topics will be released shortly, and the Zoom link will be emailed to registrants on 1/15.
The films and performances made available to registrants include the following:
Friday, January 15, 2021 — Opening Night
- At the Table with Dr. King | More Info
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: Through the Eyes of Children | More Info
- One Voice: The Story of the Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir | Trailer
Saturday, January 16, 2021 — Where Are We?
- Berkeley in the Sixties | Trailer
- Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin | Trailer
- Freedom On My Mind: The Story of Freedom Summer | Trailer
- James Baldwin: The Price of the Ticket | Trailer
- Love and Solidarity: Rev. James Lawson & Nonviolence in the Search for Workers’ Rights | Trailer
Sunday, January 17, 2021 — Who Are We?
- Al Helm: Martin Luther King in Palestine | Trailer
- Blacks and Jews | Trailer
- Have You Heard From Johannesburg? | Trailer
- Mother, Daughter, Sister | Trailer
- In The Name of Love: 19th Annual Musical Tribute Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. | More Info
- The Third Harmony: Nonviolence and the New Story of Human Nature | Trailer
Monday, January 18, 2021 — Where Should We Go?
- At the River I Stand: The 1968 Memphis Sanitation Workers Strike and the Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King | Trailer
- I Am MLK Jr. | Trailer
- King in the Wilderness | Trailer
- The March | Trailer
- We Are the Dream: The Kids of the Oakland MLK Oratorical Fest | Trailer
These cover a range of topics, from the history of the civil rights and anti-apartheid movements to James Baldwin and Martin Luther King’s global visions. Although we have organized the films thematically into days, registrants will be able to view these films throughout the King Holiday weekend on their own schedules via links we will provide in the upcoming weeks to your email via Eventbrite.
The festival will introduce the World House Project, a new initiative of the King Institute in partnership with the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies at Stanford. This festival is also in partnership with the Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center, California Newsreel, the Camera as Witness Program (Stanford Arts), and the Kunhardt Film Foundation. It is made possible with support from XQ Institute.
Registrants will receive updates and links and passwords for the films on 1/15. If you have any questions, please contact Truman Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event Disclaimer: This website is provided “as is” and Homeschool Anywhere makes no representations or warranties in relation to the accuracy or completeness of Information. Visitors rely on Information on the website at their own risk. Times and dates are subject to change.
Report this Event